This place is so great. I love it. And not just because I get to spend time with Erik, although it obviously has a lot to do with it. Japan is just so... how can I describe this?
Quiet.
It's peaceful and chill and respectful. There is nothing obnoxious about everyday life here. Well no, that's not true. I guess if i owned a television then that would be obnoxious. But really, I feel as though the ridiculousness that is Japanese entertainment is there to balance out everything else. My best example is the train. Every other subway that I've ever been on has been noisy and dirty. But these are spit spot all the time and completely silent. People keep to themselves and if they are traveling with a friend or family member, then the conversations are hushed. It fascinates me. On the streets the only people that are ever making any noise are the young ones. Teenagers and kids. But even then, it's mellowed out by their private school uniforms. The older people are always perfectly polished, perfectly proper. They bow their heads as they walk by in greeting and sometimes smile, but not often. That's not to say they're not friendly. If you say hello or good morning they will say it back and bow politely in return, but it's different from the american "Hey What's up!!" that comes with a big goofy grin.
These people are reserved and private.
The beaming smiles make their appearance when you enter stores and restaurants. Even if you obviously don't speak japanese, they will go off on you and bow and smile and do everything they can to be helpful. It's really quite fun. There's a little convenient store down the street from Erik's house that I remember very well from last year. The little lady who works that cash register always yells "hello" (in japanese) whenever anyone walks in. It's funny because sometimes you don't even know where she is but as soon as she hears the door open she'll yell it out from whatever corner she happens to be hiding in. Anyway, I'd get my stuff (hoping it's the right stuff cuz I sure as hell can't read the labels) and go up to pay for it. She would just go off on me and smile and ask questions (i'm assuming) and all I could do was smile at her. She would go on and on and on and I have NO idea what it was all about. At the end, when she gave me my change I'd say thank you and goodbye and she would beam at me and wave as if we'd just had this wonderful little conversation. It happened every single time. Well yesterday I went down there to get some milk and it was the same lady and the same exact thing. She could've been cursing me out and saying god knows what behind that smile, but I left the store feeling happy. Lost and confused, but happy :)
So there you go. I know that had no structure to it whatsoever. It was totally just rambling but I thought I should blog about something and I'm too lazy to organize my thoughts at the moment.
Erik's at work right now. I met him at the base for lunch earlier and just got back. It's about a 40 minute walk down there if I'm booking it. I took my sweet time walking back and it was almost an hour. It's beautiful out today. About 45F but the sun is shining. My plan is to go running later to explore a little bit and then do a fun little P90x workout with Woods when he gets home. Then maybe watch a movie.
Alright peeps, that's all I got. I'll try to be more consistent about updates. I'll have time, that's for sure :)
later
Excellent Steph! Sounds like your vacation is off to a great start!
ReplyDelete